Friday, January 2, 2015

How to Donate


"I wish I could help, but I don't have enough money myself..."  STOP right there. It is so easy for all of us to get caught up in this idea-- that if we're not rich and we don't have a savings account with a couple thousand dollars just sitting around that we don't need, then we don't have any spare money to give.

In the past year, have you bought any chips, candy, cookies, coffee, gum, cigarettes, lottery tickets? Rented any movies, gone to the theater, eaten out at a restaurant? If you answered yes to any of these, then you DO make enough money to give some away.  You don't NEED any of that to live or be happy-- they are all American extravagances. It takes one very tiny sacrifice. That's it. Just once if you choose to save money by cooking something at home instead of splurging at a restaurant, you can use that money to help someone else.

I've made a commitment to myself, that every time I go grocery shopping, instead of buying chips and dip or any junk food I don't need, I will instead buy a $5 gift card to give away. This creates a win-win situation: I eat healthier and help someone else at the same time.

 I live and work right off of a major highway, and there are consistently people standing on the side of the off-ramp holding signs asking for money. I attach a motivational quote to each gift card and hand the gift cards out at any opportunity that I'm at a red light and someone is there.

Now let's address the issue of not wanting to give money because "they'll only use it for liquor, cigarettes, or drugs."  Perhaps some of them, yes. But I also believe that there are still honest people in the world too. I do give gift cards to Save-a-lot or Aldi grocery stores because they do not sell tobacco products and sell only very limited beer and wine, versus most other grocery stores in the area which sell all tobacco products and have full state liquor stores inside.  My intention in this is to help limit temptation when inside with the gift card.

But, what if they do spend it on alcohol instead? So what? Maybe that's what they need at this moment. Maybe in the future they'll get to the point where they'll spend it differently, but for now, just do what you can to encourage. Give money along with a reassuring smile. Give prayers when you get home. Send positive energy and good wishes.  If you've ever tried to diet or eat healthier, you can probably relate to how hard it is to say no to sugar and junk food or how hard it is to say no to sitting on the couch and watching one more TV show instead of getting up and exercising. I believe addiction is no different, and it's a process where you win some and lose some. Every day won't be perfect and you certainly don't need other people judging you for your mistakes. So, just freely give without judgment or expectations-- just encouragement.

If you haven't seen this video of someone who gave a homeless man $100 then followed him to see how he spent it, it's DEFINITELY worth a watch:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUBTAdI7zuY


STEPS FOR GIVING:
1. Make a plan for consistency.  Decide when you want to set aside money. For example:
      -every time you go to the grocery store
      -every pay day
      -once/week
      -once/month
      -every time you visit Starbucks
      -every time you go out to eat at a restaurant

2. Include words of encouragement or a motivational quote, if you feel compelled to do so.
I believe that the universe or your God will guide you. Just listen to your gut and do what feels right, even if you feel silly doing so.  Here's one I made and printed out to put with my first round of gift cards:


3. Keep them in a convenient spot in your car, purse, or wallet, ready to be handed out!



No comments:

Post a Comment